2017 has been an exciting year, and we here at Curbly have had the opportunity to do some pretty cool stuff over the past twelve months (I don't know if you heard, but we flipped a freaking house!). In addition to making over the original Curbly home, hosting an art show for a bunch of 2nd graders, going to and speaking at Alt Summit, and painting all the things - the Curbly team created a bunch of fun, original projects, too. Today we're taking a look back at the best DIY projects of the year. These are the projects that you, our readers, visited and liked the most, in addition to some that we just think are real spiffy. Let's go!
1. IKEA Hack: A Utilitarian Shelf Goes Rustic Glam: We're going to start our list off with this shelf project, because we love a good IKEA hack (who doesn't? It's like the story of Cinderella, but for furniture). This tutorial shows how to turn the Hyllis shelf's look from plain brushed steel to fancy brass and wood.
2. Custom Vinyl Wall Decal: Next up is this tutorial for making your own wall decals. Pony boys aside, we get that inexpensive wall art is desirable. This method for filling blank spaces fast also leaves plenty of room for creativity through customization.
3. Baking Rack Turned Modern Grid Organizer: The best DIY projects always start with a great idea. The winning thought here? Mounting a cooling rack to the wall. Simple, yet effective!
4. Simple Abstract Patterned Pillow: 2017 saw a resurgence in all things 90s. Neck chokers are back, denim jackets are all the rage, and if you're feeling extra nostalgic, you can actually buy newly released albums on cassette tape. This do-it-yourself pillow fits right in by revisiting the fun and funky patterns of the early 90s.
5. IKEA Hack: Spinning Tiered Serving Tray: IKEA gets hacked again in the 5th spot on our Best DIY Projects of the Year list. This project actually combines two IKEA products together, making one awesome serving tray that's sure to impress your house guests. Keep those snacks a'spinnin'!
6. Simple Paint Scrape Art: This year we saw a great need for easy, yet unique wall art. While we covered a lot of affordable wall art solutions over the past twelve months, this is one of our favorites because of how effortless and effective it is!
7. IKEA Hack: Hanging Planter Basket Set: The last IKEA hack on this list is a two-tiered beauty that houses happy houseplants. One in every room, please!
8. Modern Industrial Concrete Soy Candles: Candles have been around forever and there are a hundred and one ways to dress them up. This is our favorite method of 2017, because we love the bright colors mixed with the industrial look of concrete.
10. The Half-Hour Half Apron: The best DIY projects are uncomplicated. For non-sewers, or for those just getting introduced to their sewing machines, any sewing project is going to feel overwhelmingly complicated (we've all been there). This project is easy enough for beginners, and you don't have to invest a ton of time into it.
11. DIY Leather Dangling Earrings: Our readers loved these earrings, and so do we! They're a great gift idea, and they're a snap to make.
12. La Croix Can Planters: This year the U.S. reached new levels in its love affair with La Croix sparkling water (let's not forget about that song that happened this summer). Curbly HQ is fueled by the stuff, and with all those empty cans laying around, we thought we'd put them to good use as planters.
13. Waterproof Picnic Blanket: We spent a lot of time outside this past summer (it was essentially an average of 71 °F the entire time), which is why this picnic blanket with a water-resistant backing makes our 13 spot on this Best DIY list.
14. Modern Planter Box: We have a love-affair with outdoor projects here at Curbly. This planter fits the bill, and thanks to its strong, modern look, you guys loved it too!
15. Outdoor Bistro Lights: And last but certainly not least, these bistro lights finish out our best-of list. Why do we love them? Because A.) Outdoor lighting is transformative and amazing, and B.) We love any tutorial that features Contributor Faith's puggle, Charlie.
2017 has been a good year, but we can't wait to see what 2018 has in store! See you next year! ;)