BHG has a list of 20 great ways to boost your curb appeal. They’ve even catagorized them into projects that can be accomplished in a day, week or even month.
In a day:
- Create a symmetrical entryway by adding sidelights and containers filled with flowers.
- Replace old hardware like house numbers and lockset.
- Punch up your front door with a fresh coat of colorful paint and polish the door fixtures.
- Replace your mailbox or dress up the one you already have with a new coat of stain or paint to match the color of your house.
- Install outdoor lighting, either low voltage or solar.
- Add container gardens.
- Refurbish planting beds by pruning, weeding, planting and adding new mulch.
- Install window boxes.
In a weekend:
- Draw attention to your entryway by adding molding.
- Install outdoor art like sculptures, fountains, birdbaths and even wind chimes.
- Add shutters or accent trim around windows.
- Install an arbor, fence panels and a garden gate.
- Make a new planting bed to add color and contrast. Good spots are along driveways, walkways and right in front of the house.
- Replace gutters and down spouts if needed.
In a month:
- Tile your doorstep to create a permanent welcome mat.
- Fix up your driveway by filling cracks (killing the weeds that are growing out of them first!), clean its surface and then. If you have a concrete drive, you might even want to consider staining it.
- Build a walkway or apply a concrete resurfacer to add color. Edge it with brick or stone borders.
- Upgrade porch and deck railings.
- Give your house an exterior facelift with a paint job.
- Apply a stone veneer to exposed concrete foundations or column footings.
To review the entire list accompanied with pictures illustrating each idea, visit BHG.