It's time to decorate the dorm! From picking out rugs to planning your meals to decorating your walls, we're sharing tips, tricks, and products we love that will guarantee you won't want to leave your cozy home to head to class! Check out the long list of resources below!
Nothing makes you feel more like an adult than the first time you purchase a rug. I can still remember the feeling when I finally snagged my own! Not only does it help center a room, but a rug also protects the carpet or flooring in your dorm or apartment! That's money back in your pocket that you won't have to spend on a professional cleaning when it's time to move! Check out these five faves:
1. 5' x 8' Double Diamond Lattice Shag Rug - $144 from Rugs USA
2. 2' x 3' Lounah flat weave rug - $89 from Aelfie
3. 5' x 7' Staci woven wool rug - $269 from Urban Outfitters
4. 3' x 5' Ivory Moroccan-Inspired Wedding Rug - $90 from World Market
5. 4' x 6' Natura Handspun Jute Rug - $75 from Rugs USA
You need floor lamps in your main living and gathering areas, and perhaps a few for the side tables and/or desk in your bedroom. Choose white to keep things simple and classic, or bring in some bold colors to help add character to your space! And you know you can never go wrong with brass or gold! Here are a few of my favorites below!
1. Julian Apothecary Floor Lamp - $99 from Ballard Designs
2. Simon Blake Lilly Lamp - $80 from T.J. Maxx
3. Faceted Pastel Table Lamp - $69 from Urban Outfitters
4. Tripod Floor Lamp - $62 from AllModern
5. AROD Floor Lamp - $55 from IKEA
6. Arc Copper Table Lamp - $70 from CB2
Get stuff on those walls! Gallery walls are affordable and easy ways to fill a space with all the things you love. If you're more of a minimalist, choose 2 or 3 equally-sized frames to feature your favorite prints. The best way to bring in art on a budget? Do it yourself! Here are four ways to decorate with your own two hands!
1. Make Your Own Abstract Art - from Style Me Pretty
2. Add a clock! - from PROPER
3. DIY Statement Wall Art in 30 Minutes - from CURBLY
4. Hanging Yarn Banner Wall Installation - from Creativebug
I know that they say that "cluttered desks lead to genius minds", but come on. It can be a little distracting if your workspace happens to be a disaster. Keep things looking clean and orderly with a desk organizer you can pick up online or in a store! Or make your own to bring in a little originality!
1. DIY Hanging Desk Organizer - from The Lovely Drawer
2. Threshold Ceramic Cup Pencil Holder Trinket Dish - $8 from Target
3. DIY Copper Inspiration Board - from PROPER
4. Design Ideas Squish Mint Round Containers - $17.50 from Always MOD
Chances are, you do or you will have some roommates. While you'll more than likely share some of the big items like mixing bowls, cooking utensils, and a few other basic items, it's important to keep a set of dishes for yourself. A general rule of thumb is to keep a complete set for 4 (so you can entertain!).
Work with your roommates and come up with a plan to keep the kitchen organized. Create a chore chart (use a whiteboard like this Ubrands Dry Erase Calendar for $13 from Target) so each roomie knows what is their responsibility that day or that week. Come to an agreement for the budget for things like dish detergent, hand soap, sponges, garbage bags, etc.
Now, it might be a bit of a struggle to bring the entire contents of your home closet to your college closet. They're just smaller in the dorms. Maximize your space and get that closet as organized as you can. Use hanging shelves to store sweaters and pants. Use an over the door shoe organizer with pockets to keep your shoes together and in place. Be sure to edit your closet before the start of each season and put things in storage that you won't need to wear for the next few months. Keep accessories in boxes and utilize hooks! Hooks, hooks, hooks! They're a small closet's best friend. Read about the storage in the above photo right here on Curbly!
Organize scarves or belts by hanging shower curtain rings on a hanger! via From The Desk
Of course, it is the most fun to decorate your bed! From sheets to duvets to pillows to throw blankets, you can customize them completely to your liking! Have fun in this department! Here are five cool & stylish bedding items I've seen floating around the web!
1. Hot Now Multicolor Quilt - from Target for $39.99
2. Reversible Linen Blend Duvet Cover - from Urban Outfitters for $119
3. Roar + Rabbit Graphic Puzzle Pillow Cover - from West Elm for $54
4. Mini Dot Sheet Set - from PB Teen for $89
5. Plum + Bow Mila Allover Floral Duvet Set - $109 from Urban Outfitters
Be sure and save this pin for later!