Halloween costumes can be a little daunting to plan out and DIY. And I'll admit, I've skipped dressing up most years of my adult life, mostly because I just haven't felt like making anything. But this year, I just so happen to have a giant stack of cardboard leftover from a move and couldn't help but design a (budget-friendly) DIY Halloween costume to share.
Here's how you can make a giant cardboard popsicle costume with household materials...
- 2 large sheets of cardboard
- paint (acrylic or house paint)
- paint brush
- pencil or marker
- boxcutter or similar for cutting cardboard
- hot glue gun
- rope for shoulder straps
1. Start by drawing out the basic popsicle shape onto cardboard (with second piece of cardboard stacked underneath the first). You can trace a large round item for the top round part (like a side table or something similar) and then draw a line straight down from there.
2. Then, cut out the top round part off from the cardboard and leave the sides that go straight down, to create flaps, as shown in the photo.
3. Then, score the straight down lines on the side of the popsicle, with a boxcutter. Bend the top flaps downward and the bottom flaps (from the second piece of cardboard) upward.
4. Glue the top and bottom flaps together on each side, with hot glue.
5. Next, cut and glue two pieces of rope to the top of the popsicle shape to create shoulder straps.
6. Paint the popsicle shape all the way around with one color or create a color block ed look with multiple paint colors.
7. Lastly, cut, paint, and glue the popsicle stick to the bottom of the popsicle. All done!
Think you'll give this DIY Halloween costume a try? Also check out these other great costume ideas!