Last week, I talked about finding interiors inspiration in the most unlikely of places, and this week I am building on that post with ten tips to a cozy, modern space.
The more places I decorate, the more I am reminded that decorating a home should be stress-free and fun. You just have to take it one room at a time. Right now, my husband and I are working on our living room. So I thought that would be a good place to start with today's tips.
With the help of my trusty HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart AiO, I rounded up a whole lot of drool-worthy inspiration. Before we dive in though, there are a few things you should know about me...
My style is best described as organic modern, I suppose. I like clean lines and design classics when it comes to furniture. When it comes to accessories, however, I veer towards the more playful side of things, within reason of course. My husband and I spend a lot of time at home, and we try to surround ourselves (in a minimal way) with beautiful things that make us smile. Everything in this experience board, something I originally created for the fine folks at HP, does exactly that for me.
Okay, so let's get to the tips already. Here are 10 ways to create a cozy, modern living space.
1. Bring it to life. I always have live plants or fresh flowers in our house, no matter what, but I don't like clutter. So I adore this beaded plant hanger. It takes up virtually no space at all.
2. Art it up. This crystal sculpture from Brett Freund is a piece I would love to have in our living room. The color is great and the shape is beautiful - a real work of art.
3. A place for everything you love (image from Brittni Mehlhoff). I always have a couple of small vessels laying around on the book shelf, so I have a home for tiny things that I use a lot, like rings and other jewelry.
4. Clusters not clutter. For the last few years, I've filled blank walls with rotating art clusters. We have a small collection of tiny prints and originals that we've accumulated over the years, and collections always look best when paired together. Which is why I find this living space so inspiring. Don't those prints and paintings look great together?
5. On the subject of art, make a statement. This planet poster from Debbie Carlos catches my eye because of it's size. Don't be afraid of huge prints and paintings. They are your friends.
6. Mix and match. I love the way natural wood and brass look together. Mix and match materials and finishes for a more casual look.
7. Bring on the fun. This playful polka dot throw was a DIY project from Say Yes to Hoboken that I immediately bookmarked. It's a fun way to incorporate a trend without getting too crazy.
8. Organization doesn't have to be ugly. My office is actually connected to the living room, so I use a few of these double duty dry erase boards to keep myself organized, writing to-dos and such, without compromising on style. This is actually a DIY and it's really easy to recreate.
9. Bring on the texture. Baskets like these knit ones are a great way to bring in texture, while helping to keep things organized - providing a cozy place for extra blankets and pillows.
10. Color pop. I love this braid art print by Elizabeth Mayville because of that pop of yellow. When you have neutral furnishings, colorful accents are a great way to balance things out.
So that's it: 10 simple steps to a cozy, comfortable, modern home...or living room at least. What tips will you use to decorate your own space?
I wrote this review while participating in a program on behalf of HP and received an ENVY 23 TouchSmart AiO and other products as a thank you for my participation. All opinions are my own.