It's no secret that we all love DIY around here, especially when it comes to home improvements and decor. But there are plenty of other categories to cover when it comes to how-to projects. So today I'll be focusing on a realm that we haven't delved much into before: weddings. This roundup of DIY outdoor wedding ideas covers everything from outdoor lighting projects and unusual centerpieces to thoughtfully handmade photo booth backdrops and DIY ceremony arches. There's even a driftwood candelabra.
1. Surprise guests with a statement accent wall or photo booth backdrop that is made with rolled up pieces of paper. You could even use chicken wire to keep the paper in place if you don't want to glue everything.
2. Create a rustic DIY wood chandelier with this tutorial from Capitol Romance.
3. Create a colorful geometric table runner that is perfect for indoors or out.
4. Chain together a whole lot of oysters with this stunning oyster table runner.
5. And create ambience for your outdoor receiption once the sun goes down with this pretty hurricane candle DIY.
6. Add some fun and whimsy to your big day with a DIY cake pinata customized to your wedding colors. With a few adjustments, this outdoor wedding DIY idea could be transformed into a card box for the gift table, as well.
7. Learn how to make a whole lot of streamers to create a festive backdrop for your first dance.
8. Make a giant escort card display board that adds to the decor, while being functional.
9. Create a fringed scallop backdrop to draw attention to the dessert tables.
10. Running out of outdoor wedding ideas for a space with a lot of trees? Decorate low-lying tree limbs with strands of this decorative favor garland. After the party is over, guests can pop a favor bag off the garland to take home.
11. Ask bridesmaids to help you forage for greenery and a little bit of fabric to make a romantic ceremony alter like this one.
12. Make crepe paper magnolias to add to greenery for a table runner / centerpiece that is a mix of real and faux.
13. Hang tiny glass candle holders to a fallen branch for a hanging decorative focal point perfect for the head table.
14. Create a cool string chandelier to use as a decoration over outdoor tables at the reception.
15. Reuse a piece of driftwood to create a hanging DIY candelabra.
16. Reuse antique birdcages to create unique centerpieces at your reception, that can be adorned with colorful, seasonal flowers and linens.
17. Make these cheerful hanging lanterns from a string of lights and paper bags.
18. Create a giant paper flower backdrop for guests to take photos.
19. Hang strands of outdoor bulb lights under a tree for a more intimate, room-like feel on your big day.
20. Hang a rope from one tree to the next and then tie long strands of ribbons to the rope, like this, for a decorative touch that gives the outdoors a little more warmth during the reception or ceremony.