I realized that I didn't say a big HELLO to the Curbly readers. My name is Kibwe Daisy. I am in interior designer in Washington, DC and editor of Design For Men. I am thrilled to be guest blogging this week. I enjoy designing spaces that have a masculine feel. And I find guys often don't pay close enough attention to creating a great home environment. The key to upgrading your home is identify your style by finding the right inspiration. A little game that I like to play when I find a space inspiring, is breaking down why it works! I love this modern condo in Ghent, Belgium from OWI. One of my favorite things about masculine style is the combination of simplicity and ease. This space acheives both and here are 5 reasons why it works:
1. Focus on the interior architecture. The monochromatic pallette and simple finishes accentuate the high ceilings, large scale windows, and custom details in this space. The over size lacquered black cabinets in the kitchen becomes the focal point in the dining and living area.
2. Mix and Match Furniture. The furniture in this space is decidedly an eccletic mix however neutral colors and similar scale/proportions allow these furnishings to work together. I love the assemblage of different chairs at the dining table. The use of different yet related pieces starts to tell a story as well...your guests will begin to wonder where each piece came from, a flea market, antiques store, your travels. Ultimately, your choices tells people a little more about you and your style.
3. Clever Storage Solutions. Often people forget the power of storage. I love the seamless integration of cabinetry in this space. While here, the owner was able to work with the proprieter to customize their unit. Creating a plan and purchasing shelving units and cabinetry can create the allusion of built-in storage to conceal and organize not so attractive items.
4. Comfortable and Approachable. The feeling of effortlessnes is key to a masculine space. This condo is tidy and organized without being austere. Here, everything has it's place but mostly you see the things that you are meant to including stunning large scale artwork leaning against the wall and books stacked along shelving and cabinetry. The suptle leather couch just seems so cozy for reading or watching a movie.
5. Make a Statement. The bedroom / bath combo reveals an unexpected surprise. The artwork in the bedroom and floating shelving unit does exactly that. I often tell my students that if you are going to make a statement, make it a big one. Sometimes taking a risk can pay off.
I have learned through experience personally and professionally that changing your environment can change your life. So guys, start to hone in on your style through inspiration and when in doubt keep it simple.