I love Instagram. It's the app on my phone that I reflexively open when I unlock the screen. I love swiping through stories to see what my friends are up to, and scrolling through my feed to spy and fawn over famous strangers. Instagram has been around for a while, and over time it's morphed from its beginnings as a "photo only" social media platform. From overheard conversations to motivational phrases, there's much more on Instagram to keep me opening the app again and again. Here are some of my favorite accounts that are more about the message and less about the image.
1. Their motto reads, "More than living. Thriving." And if you're looking for some daily inspiration, @thrive is for you.
2. The @bossbabe.inc account is like that drunk girl in the bathroom at the club: Super complimentary, always empowering.
3. @jengotch is the founder of Ban.do, a lifestyle brand that produces everything from slider shoes to stickers. Her positive vibes are in the forefront of her brand, while her personal account deals with the realer side of life.
4. The "awe" in @weareinawe stands for "Advancing Women Executives." Along with motivational phrases, this account also serves up quotes from some seriously amazing women.
5. I got a letter board last year, and I'm always impressed when people can keep theirs updated with quirky quotes. @letterboardquotes showcases some of the best, and I'm thinking of borrowing some of these ideas for myself.
6. @quarterlifepoetry speaks to me on a personal level - perhaps because I'm in my 20s, but also because when words rhyme I'm more likely to listen.
7. Rather than using the term "poet," @celinezabad chooses "logophile" instead. Read her work to understand why.
8. Speaking of poets, if you don't know who @rupikaur_ is, where have you been living?? Under a rock, I'm guessing. With works like Milk and Honey and The Sun and Her Flowers under her belt, Rupi Kaur is a forefront runner in the modern world of poetry.
9. @notes2myselfie features a peek into the hilarious brain of writer/author/DJ Jilly Hendrix. Every post makes me say, "Same."
10. Technically they're not pictures - they're maps! And boy, are they the most depressing maps ever. @sadtopographies finds and posts the most bizarrely-labeled locations for our viewing pleasure.
11. This Instagram account just cracks. Me. Up. @overheardnewyork takes submissions for - you guessed it - conversations overheard in New York City. Also check out @OverheardUniversity, @OverheardLA, and @OverheardLondon.
12. Pastel colors, happy illustrations, and positive, affirming quotes come together on the @recipesforselflove account.
13. A minimal color palette + bold typography +positive vibes = @thegoodquote
14. R.M. Drake (@rmdrk) is a poet who writes to inspire the youth. His simple words have me feeling all kinds of melancholy.
15. It seems fitting to end this roundup on the opposite side from where we started. We started with an inspirational account, so of course we'll end on an @unspirational account. Just because.
Did I miss any good text-only accounts? What are you favorite accounts to follow on Instagram, other than ours? ;)