Place cards add a personal touch to dinner gatherings. They are practical and inviting, giving a sense of place to all of your guests. They help you bring together new groups of people (or separate individuals!) and add a lovely touch to any table setting. Below is a round-up of our favorite DIY and printable place cards.
- 1. The names of your guests typed and printed on card stock.
- 2. Glue (glue dots are recommended)
- 3. An awl (buy for around $8 on Amazon)
- 4. A scallop circle punch 1.5?
- 5. Embroidery floss and needle
- 6. Corner rounder punch (optional)
For directions on how to assemble these place cards, follow this link to The Wedding Chicks' tutorial.
2. Origami Turkey Place Card
Follow this video from Drepsys or these printable directions from the Origami Resource Center to put together a set of origami turkey place cards. Fold your turkeys and then add the names of your guests to the turkeys' feathers.
Supplies: Several sheets of origami paper (or a square sheet of paper)
3. Martha's Origami Paper Boat Place Card
Pilgrims used boats to make their way to North America, and you can add them to your Thanksgiving table to honor their voyage. For the how-to follow this link. Check the list below to gather your supplies.
- Kraft paper (or brown card stock)
- White paper
- Hole punch
4. Martha's Ribbon Belt Place Card
This pattern is featured in green and white, but you could easily create it with a different color palette by making your own template. To follow Martha's lead, follow click through to the how-to.
- Card Stock
- Martha's Template
Read more at Marthastewartweddings.com: Ribbon Belt Place Card
5. Fabric & Paper Place Cards
These layered place cards from Merriment Designs combine paper and fabric. The layers are sewn together, creating a lovely combination of textures and patterns. Check the supply list below and then follow this link for the how-to.
- Kathy’s free place card template
- 8 1/2 x 11 paper
- Colored cardstock place cards
- Paper trimmer OR Xacto knife set and a ruler with a metal edge
- Gridded self-healing rotary mat, clear fabric ruler, and rotary fabric cutter for cutting fabric squares
- Sewing machine (here's a cheap one, if you're in the market)
6. Round Fall-Themed Place Cards from LollyChops
Lolly from Lollychops.com came up with this festive, printable set of round place cards adorned with birds, leaves, pumpkins, and acorns.
- This template from Lollychops.com
- Card stock
- Scissors or a large, circular hole punch