“Holiday with Matthew Mead” is a “book-azine” offering inspiration and DIY/how-to projects for the Christmas holiday season. It’ll be available in early November via online orders only, and in limited quantities (click here to purchase it).
Decorative Snowmen from Your Holiday Pantry
Make these sweet snowmen to garnish desserts or decorate a mantle top. Traditional pantry ingredients will provide you with snowman-making abilities no matter what the weather!
You will need:
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Materials for hats, faces and scarves:
- Fruit rolls for hats and scarves
- Black nonpariels for eyes and buttons
- Piping gel for attaching embellishments
Combine sugar, water, salt, and vinegar in a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat just until clear. Then cook without stirring until syrup spins a long thread when dropped from tip of spoon, or to 240 degrees Fahrenheit (115 degrees Centigrade).
1. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add syrup in a very thin stream, beating constantly. After all syrup is added, continue beating until frosting will hold its shape. Mix in vanilla. Fill one piping bag fitted with a round tip.
2. Pipe snow balls in several sizes on a parchment line sheet. Leave one inch between balls.
3. Let air dry in a cool dry place for several days until thoroughly dried out. Assemble and decorate. Use piping gel to attach decorations.
Like this project? Love to win Holiday with Matthew Mead? Curbly.com is excited to give away five copies. Head here to enter the contest!