It's easy to lose your garage over the summer. Not the garage itself, but the storage space inside it, which becomes lost to gardening equipment, toys, and summer building projects. Our friends at Closets by Design sent along some great tips to reclaim that garage space.
1. Reclaim the garage floor – The trick is to use the space on the garage walls to your advantage. Toys such as golf clubs, tennis rackets and skates can be stored along the walls, while bikes can be hung on hooks from the ceiling. Rakes, shovels and other yard supplies can also be easily organized on an interior wall. Using this space wisely will not only help you to increase your storage space but make items easily accessible.
2. Cut the clutter – It’s amazing how many “things” you acquire over the years, and finding a place for each one is not always possible, or necessary. It’s important to discard items you no longer want or need. Sort through all of your tools and home maintenance supplies, and separate items into those you can sell, donate, throw away or recycle. If you haven’t used it in a year, you can probably get rid of it.
3. Sort and label – It’s not enough to simply get organized. The real test is to stay organized. Labeling boxes and containers eliminates the frustration of rummaging through all of your belongings to find one specific item. Put similar items into categories (i.e. tools, holiday decorations, etc.) so you will be able to maintain an efficient organizational system.
4. Safety first – Since you’re already sorting items, be sure to keep potentially hazardous chemicals together and locked. It’s best to use a lockable tool chest or cabinet for extra caution. Also, make sure that any power tools with an on/off switch are stored securely out of children’s reach.
5. Increase storage with sturdy cabinets and shelving – Because paint cans, tools and other bulky items will be stored in the garage, it’s important that cabinets and shelving are sturdy enough to support the extra weight. Not all cabinets are built the same and it’s important that you understand the construction behind your cabinet and the weight limitations. A proper storage solution can organize your items and keep them out of site. An important note when purchasing garage cabinets – make sure the doors will open when your car is parked in the garage.