Let me just share this nifty RE-Use project with you. I’ll be showing you how you can put those old ratty towels you’re tempted to away to good use. Remember the cool way you used to roll a beach towel with your cute little bathing suit tucked tightly in the middle and ride your bike off to the pool? That delightful childhood memory gave me the idea for this super easy beefy bolster which ends up being a fantastic end-of-the-couch nap pillow and uses those old beach towels that hold so many memories.
Materials and Tools:
3/4 yard of fabric
dacron to wrap around towels (optional)
spray adhesive to attach dacron (optional)
needle and thread to close pillow
paint can or something round for a template
welt cording (optional)
Let’s Get Going:
1. Assemble materials:
2. Roll up old towels and take measurements. Wrap up in dacron and spray with adhesive.
3. Trace two end circles onto fabric for the ends. Fold in half and make notches for alignment.
4. Stitch cording around the outside edges of the ends. Measure finished ends.
5. Make it easy, go to your computer and find out the circumference of the diameter of your circle, add one inch and cut out a rectangle that measures c + 1″ x length of towel roll + 1″. Fold this piece in half, clip notches at the two folded ends. You need to pin and stitch the long opening closed but leave enough of it open to stuff your towel roll inside, at least 10″.
6. Pin the stitched tube (matching notches) to the two corded ends.
7. Cut off seam allowance to 1/4″.
8. Turn right side out and stuff towel roll inside. If necessary, add some dacron to the two ends.
9. Pin and hand stitch the opening closed.
10. Get ready for a cozy nap with your new beefy bolster.
This is exactly what I was looking for – thanks for the great upcycling idea for my old towels.
Bonjour Renée, êtes-vous capable de faire ces traversins?
Je cherche une couturière expérimentée pour m’en faire 3… Je suis prête à payer pour le service. 😃