One thing that’s in plenty of supply around here is sawdust. It’s a shame to let that beautiful fluff go to waste, so here’s 17+ ideas to put it to good use. Remember…these apply to REAL wood sawdust, not MDF. Also, you’ll want to use common sense when it comes to using sawdust from pressure treated wood as well.
1. Mix it with white paint to make fake snow.
2. Use it for traction on slippery roads.
3. Soak up spills in the shop or garage.
4. Feed your plants with it, except if it’s walnut sawdust.
5. Make fire starters.
6. Fill holes and defects in wood.
7. Use it to pack a path.
8. Use walnut sawdust to kill weeds.
9. Lighten the heft of mixed cement.
10. Use it as a floor cleaner.
11. Use it as animal bedding, except for walnut.
12. Put it in a meat smoker for some interesting results
13. Use it as fuel. Click on this link to see how to build and use a sawdust stove.
14. Stuff homemade pincushions with it, or….
15. Stuff a dog’s bed with it.
16. Mix it with mud for a facial.
17. Absorb used turpentine and mineral spirits with it. (In many cities you can throw these away if they are dry. Otherwise, in liquid form, they have to go to a recycling center.)