Threadbanger has been flooded with questions of what to do with old jeans, here is one concoction that won't leave you messy in the kitchen! On this episode of Decor it Yourself, Meg shows us how to make an
apron out of an old pair of jeans. For more information and details, check out the video! For more ideas and tutorials like this, subscribe to Threadheads on iTunes!!
Sewing Machine/Hand Sewing Supplies
Scrap pieces of fabric
1. Lay the jeans on a flat surface and cut a straight line from the crotch to one leg.
2. Cut along the side seam and open the leg up. You now have your piece to work with.
3. Hold the jean piece up to yourself to set what length you would like it. Cut off the excess from the top, leaving about 1 inch extra.
4. Pin a 1/2 inch seam around the 2 sides of your fabric.
5. Pick out a fun color of thread and sew 2 topstitches around the edges just pinned.
6. For the top seam, allow for a 1-2 inch gap for the apron ties. Sew it down to form a casing that you will thread the tie through later.
7. Now we add pockets! Just cut out the size you want, and put right sides together. We used the denim and a bright orange fabric. Pin a half inch around the edges, and sew 3 sides together
8, Turn the pocket right side out, and fold the top to the inside to get a clean edge. Pin and sew these edges down. Repeat for as many pockets that you'd like.
9. Pin the pockets in place, and sew along the sides and bottom.
10. Let's add an applique! We made bacon and eggs out of leftover felt and fabrics. Cut out your design. Place the applique onto your apron, pin it down, and sew it down with a topstitch around each shape.
11. Take a piece of twine and cut it long enough to tie around your waist.
12. Place a pin on the end of the twine and thread it through the top casing of your apron. Once it is pulled all the way through, tie bigger knots on each side so the twine won't slip through.
13. To secure the ties a bit more, stitch the holes closed leaving a little space for the twine (don't sew the twine down!). Tie it around your waist and you are ready to get dirty in the kitchen!