When you blow out your very fav summer khakis, something has to be done. DON'T discard just because of a little wear and tear. These khakis came with the frayed hem for the broken in look, we won't mess with that. The big problem happened later, as seen below, on the front and back of these well worn shorts. The technique used to mend these tears is exactly like the Ottoman Tear Repair. Same technique-many uses.
Supplies you need for this job:
lightweight fusible interfacing
sewing machine with zigzag stitch
What you do:
1. Cut pieces of interfacing the length of the tears plus 1/2 inch on either side
2. Place interfacing strips on top of tear, fusing side on the tear. Using hot iron, adhere interfacing to tear, making sure the torn sides are fused right next to each other or overlapping just a tiny bit.
Above is the hem tear
Ironing fusible interfacing on the backside tears
Fused together and ready to stitch
3. With matching thread in the sewing machine, set machine to do zigzag stitch that will straddle your tear and zigzag the entire length of the tear.
4. Do the same on the back tears.
5. Look at the great mend job on your favorite khakis. Ready to put back into the rotation.
Summer's favorite shorts mended beautifully.