Since cutting the ties with cable/satellite several years ago, we've become devotes of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. (Yes, all three.) It's gotten so
bad good that on the rare occasions when we do watch something on regular TV, the hubs invariably offers an aggrieved huff having to suffer through commercials. Although, considering what we might watch this weekend to get into the spooky spirit is right up my stream, movie picks are very subjective. Keeping that in mind, I've assembled a list of my favorites as well as a list of spooky movies on my to-watch list. (As of this writing, all are available to stream. On various streaming services, which are listed with links.) For a flourishing finish, I'm including a roundup of roundups so all bases and tastes will be covered. Enjoy, and start popping popcorn.
First, a few scary movies for the entire family:
- Goosebumps (Netflix, 2015, PG)
- The Witches (Amazon Prime, 1990, PG)
- Corpse Bride (Netflix, 2005, PG) Also rather romantic.
- The Spiderwick Chronicles (Amazon Prime, 2008, PG)
A few scary movies to watch while cuddling with your boo:
- An American Werewolf in London (Amazon Prime, 1981, R) Also a classic with a superb soundtrack.
- The Others (Amazon Prime, 2001, PG-13)
- Sleepy Hollow (Netflix and Hulu, 1999, R)
- Interview With the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (Amazon Prime, 1994, R)
A few funny/scary ones (my personal favorite sub-genre of horror movies):
The Voices (Hulu, 2015, R)
- Dale and Tucker vs Evil (Hulu and Amazon Prime, 2010, R) Seriously, if you haven't seen Dale and Tucker vs Evil, do yourself a favor and watch it.
A few classics to cleanse the palate:
- House on Haunted Hill, starring one of the masters of horror, Vincent Price (Amazon Prime, 1959, NR)
- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Netflix, 1920, NR)
Creepy and cerebral:
- The Mist (Amazon Prime, 2007, R) If you're a fan of "The Walking Dead", you'll feel right at home in The Mist.
- The Babaook (Netflix, 2014, NR)
Straight up horror:
- Hellraiser (Netflix and Hulu, 1987, R)
- Rosemary's Baby (Amazon Prime, 1968, R) A must-see if you haven't already or if you haven't watched in recently. [Okay, seriously, when I re-sized the movie poster above to include in this post, I reset the horizontal to our standard 450 and the vertical automatically sized to 666!! Coincidence?? ;)]
My personal to-watch list:
- One Body Too Many (Amazon Prime, NR) A classic comedy/horror.
- Shock Value (Amazon Prime, 2014, NR)
- A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (Netflix, 2014, NR) Vampires, ya'll.
Now a roundup of other people's roundups of movies now streaming:
- Netflix picks from Shortlist.
- Netflix picks from Movie Pilot. (Two thumbs up for Nightcrawler.)
- Netflix picks from Paste Magazine.
- Hulu picks from Movie Pilot.
- Hulu picks from Digital Trends.
- Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime picks from Heavy.
- Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime picks from Variety.
- Amazon Prime picks from Thought Catalog.