I love buying vintage furniture and I often am asked where to look for affordable mid-century furniture and decor. Today I will share with you all the places I look to shop for vintage and reproductions of great MCM pieces.
Vintage Mid-Century Sofas:
I always check Chairish for vintage mid century sofas. They have both high-end and affordable options. I like Chairish better than Ebay for all vintage sofas because Chairish has shipping options and most items are returnable. Search Charish for MCM with these sorting options: furniture, sofa, midcentury, and $-$$$.
1. Vintage Pearsall Sofa - $779
2. Vintage Black Leather Sofa - $550
3. Vintage McCobb Sofa - $800
4. Vintage Tufted Sofa - $1,166
Pros: You get great pieces in good condition. You can negotiate price and even shipping.
Cons: Sometimes the lower priced pieces have flaws and need upholstery. You are limited in your color choice.
1. Craigslist: The above photo is a sofa in my area. The best finds are from personal sellers not dealers. They often need a little love but at prices like $145 they are steals.
2. Estate Sales: You've got to be patient and go often but they can be found.
3. Etsy: This option has pricier sofas and usually don't provide shipping. I always look here because if you search your area, you're likely to find local stores who have Etsy shops.
Get it: $285 at SimplyChi
Vintage Mid-Century Sofa Reproductions:
These are my favorite places to look for reproductions. All of these places have different styles of mid-century sofas and a variety of different colors.
2. West Elm: Great options and sales. Peggy Midcentury Sofa - $1,099
Vintage Mid-Century Chairs:
Online affordable vintage chairs often need reupholstering. The good news is that the design of a MCM chair typically needs minimal or simple upholstery therefore being much more affordable to recover than a sofa.
2. Craigslist: Depends on the area, but worth looking.
4. Etsy: more shipping options on accent chairs here. $30 on Etsy
5. Estate Sales: Check out your local sales and be patient. I found the above chairs for $36 a pair, but it took me two years of searching.
Mid-Century Chair Reproductions:
Mid-century chair reproductions are everywhere these days. Most major stores are making affordable options available. Here are some of my favorite:
1. Ikea: Mellby Armchair - $279
2. World Market: Xander Armchair - $279
3. Overstock: Cruz Mid Century Chair - $324
4. Target: Sullivan Mid Century Chair - $279
Vintage Mid-Century Dressers:
Mid-century vintage dressers are often hard to find affordably online. Here are the three places I check for affordable options.
2. Craigslist: Search "dresser" instead of mid-century because you don't want to miss the items personal sellers don't know to list as MCM.
3. Estate Sales: I see them often in my area. You need to go on the first day of a sale because these sell faster.
Vintage Mid-Century Dresser Reproductions:
Brand new MCM-style dressers can be pricey too but here are my favorite affordable options.
1. Overstock: Vilas 4-Drawer Dresser - $294
2. Target: Porter Mid Century Dresser - $429
3. Ikea: Oppland Dresser Series - $249
Vintage Mid-Century Dining Tables:
The most affordable options for dining tables are local estate sales, Craigslist, and even thrift stores. Vintage dining tables, in good condition, are pricey online. Here were the few I found.
1. Chairish: Chairish - $349
2. Etsy: Clark Modern - $600
3. Craigslist: (Picture shown from the midwest area)
Vintage Mid-Century Table Reproductions:
Honestly, there are so many reproductions are out there, that this section might be the most affordable option to get the MCM look. Here are some shopping ideas:
1. Article: High quality but a little pricier. Conan Oval Dining Table - $599
2. World Market: limited options but affordable. Flynn Hairpin Dining Table - $449
3. Ikea: There is always a MCM option here. Nornas Dining Table - $199
4. All Modern: a wide variety of options. Manon Dining Table - $519
Vintage Mid-Century Accessories:
The vintage and new MCM accessories are affordable everywhere. Here are places to find them.
1. White Pepper: Etsy - $74
2. Luola: Etsy - $68
3. Modcloth: My favorite vintage accessory shop Modcloth - $34
4. Urban Outfitters: More updated MCM finds Urban Outfitters - $98
5. Wise Apple: Etsy - $24
6. Thrift Store and Estate Sales: Here you can find items for less than $5. Where do you think all these Etsy sellers buy their items?
I hope this helps you find the mid-century piece you're looking for! An even more affordable option for mid-century is DIY. Check out this Roundup of great MCM DIYs on Curbly.