Do you have a place you would like to put a light fixture but there is no electrical box to install one? If installing a light fixture is not an option here are some creative solutions that might work for you.
1. Need a dining room light? How about a large floor lamp suspended over your table?
2. Give the plug in pendant a place to hang by installing a large branch to the wall.
3. No wall sconces? Why not plug one in?
4. Free up some bedside table space by using a plug-in pendant sconce.
5. No dining room table chandelier...string a strand or two of market lights across the room.
6. A swing arm wall sconce can serve as an overhead table fixture.
7. Hang a branch from the ceiling and wrap some market lights around it and you have a statement fixture without needing a junction box.
8. Take a page from your wedding planner and wrap an old light fixture in a strand of twinkle lights.
9. Don't forget about the simple plug-in pendant/chandelier.
10. Don't hide the cord, display it. This pendant with a pretty cord could go over any space. Just attach the cleat to the wall and hang it over where you need. I am thinking this is the perfect solution if you don't have an overhead kitchen sink light. This would also be easily DIYable with this Curbly post.
I hope this post inspires you to think outside the box in your space. No...you don't need an electrical box to put lighting right where you want it to go.