Most of us are not blessed with a limitless home decorating budget, but that doesn’t mean that your space has to look cheap. Here are ten simple ways to make your house or apartment look high-end without spending the big bucks.
1. Add unique lighting. If you look at expensive rooms in design magazines, they always have unusual light fixtures. Step outside the box and try something different. Find out how to create this DIY look over at Camille Styles.
2. Paint it gold. Metallic spray paint can work wonders when you’re trying to give your space a more upscale feel. Give a boring piece of furniture an upgrade like they’ve done here.
3. Replace hardware. Ditch the generic knobs and pulls and replace them with unusual picks that will lend a custom feel. Check out more ideas here.
4. Choose paint strategically. Paint can be a powerful tool in a home, but it is important to make your choices according to the size and style of your space. A shiny finish can add a sense of drama (but it will accentuate any blemishes on the wall) while a pale blue can add a freshness to a space. Find more ideas here.
5. Add layered details. Don’t stop with a sofa and a coffee table… add a variety of patterned throw pillows, a cozy blanket and piles of colorful books. Learn more here.
6. Declutter. This one’s free, and it will go a long way to make your space look high-end. Check out some other easy tactics here.
7. Add large scale artwork. Try something abstract, and nobody will guess that you made it yourself! See how to transform an old IKEA print into the painting above over at François et Moi.
8. Add an area rug. Make sure it covers most of the floor in the room – this will give it a more expensive look. I know, I know… rugs can be expensive. But there are ways to save here too – buy from budget stores like RugsUSA.com or HomeGoods, and consider indoor-outdoor rugs (they are usually cheaper). Here are some other ideas.
9. Fake built-ins. Built-ins are custom made to fit in your space, which makes them feel pricey (which they are). But you can easily fake it ’til you make it. Learn how here.
10. Add fresh flowers. Nothing says luxury quite like a big bouquet of flowers. Pick them from your garden during the summer months for free. And buy from the grocery store the rest of the year… simply trim the stems and put each type of flower into a separate vase and nobody will know where you bought them. See plenty of other easy ways to make your home look high-end over at Freshome.