We live in the Midwest where everyone drives, yet my husband chooses to ride his bicycle to work whenever he can. Our garage is too small to accommodate it, and I get a little frustrated when he parks it right inside the front door and we have to maneuver around it all evening.
Bicycles are architecturally stylish, and often valuable, so why not create storage that puts them on display? Here are some creative ways to incorporate bicycle storage into a room's design.
1. Why not store your bicycle over your fireplace? These colorful faux taxidermy wall-mounted racks look good with or without your bike. (above)
2. Create an entry space centered around your bicycle. I love how they used this rack from CB2, useful items, and paint to make the storage area stand out:
3. Hang the bicycle over a piece of furniture with this colorful wall mount featured on My Scandinavian Home:
4. Instead of art, hang your bicycle behind your sofa:
5. Give a blank wall some interest and purpose with this shelf mount from Knife and Saw:
6. Hang your bicycle on a similar colored wall with a low profile rack, like they did in this room on Remodelista. It's great how the bike blends in and stands out all at the same time:
7. I love this a bike-rack gallery wall because it is stylish unused, yet packed with function when used:
8. Bicycles can fit into a feminine space too. If you have a pretty bike, paint part of the wall behind it so the bicycle becomes highlighted, as in this great example from Lonny:
9. This photo is from a bike shop, but I can imagine these wall mounted shelves in a living room. I am envisioning a bookcase, bike storage and entertainment center all in one:
10. Finally, you could find a place for your bicycle to stand without a rack. The bicycle can even hide an ugly necessity such as the air conditioner on Loving Living Small: