I love a good IKEA hack, and this one is a super simple and easy one! I've been looking for a fun 3-tier stand for a while to help organize our daily items a bit around here, but I could never find one that works for me. I guess I was just meant to make my own.
- Oleby Chopping Board
- Eletric drill and 1/2" and 1/4" bits
- 1/2" dowel rod (cut length to 8")
- 1/8" dowel rod (cut length to 1" )
- Wood Glue
- Painters Tape
- Paint Brush
1. Begin by taking your ruler and making a diagonal line from one corner to the next to find the center of each board.
2. With your drill, drill half way into two of the boards: the ones intended for top and bottom. For the middle board, you will drill completely through the board.
3. Cut your dowel to proper lengths. Using your 1/4" bit, carefully drill a hole into the center of the 1/2" dowel so that the 1/4" dowel can slide into. This will make a stop to help the middle board from slipping downward.
4. Tape your boards using painters tape to create a modern and simple design. Paint your boards accordingly, allowing the paint to dry completely in between layers until you have full coverage.
Remove tape once paint has dried.
5. Place the wood glue into the center hole of the largest board for the bottom. Place the dowel into the hole and allow to dry and set for at least 2 hours or as directed on the glue bottle.
Once dry, slide the middle board onto the dowel, it should rest securely in the center. Place glue onto the center hole on the top board. Place the top board on top of the dowel and allow to dry (as above instructions).
6. Once the board has completely dried and is secured, use and enjoy!
This is a fantastic way to stay organized in a modern and fresh way! The design is simple and striking. You have tons of options, you can use this 3-tier stand for fruit or displaying your favorite jewelry and perfume! Please be aware that your stand will obviously have some weight restrictions, so use common sense when placing objects onto your pretty stand! I thought I would be a little less obvious and have my stand a little quirky by placing the smallest board into the center for a different look. I am loving this new piece and can't wait to put it to use!