Solar lights are functional and great for the environment, but not always attractive. I'm here to change that - today I have a super easy project that will transform generic solar pathway lights into lanterns pretty enough to be the centerpiece on your outdoor dining table. Keep reading to check out the full photo tutorial.
These little lanterns couldn't be easier to make, and you can customize them - just change the size and color to fit your needs. Now, onto the tutorial. Here's what you'll need to make a set of these bad boys:
- Two solar lights
- One radiator sheet, 12" x 24"
- Two mason jars (two cup size with wide mouth)
- Thin wire
- Tin snips
1. Begin by cutting the radiator sheet in half lengthwise. You should end up with two pieces that are each 6" x 24". Next, carefully roll up the radiator sheet and place it loosely around the mason jar to measure how long it should be. Mark it and then use the tin snips to cut off the excess. The excess that I cut off of mine measured approximately 6".
2. Next, roll it up again and overlap the ends by about half an inch (so the holes match up). Wrap a piece of wire around the top edge and through the top hole a few times. Clip off the excess wire. Do the same on the bottom edge. Wrap a small piece of wire around the middle as well, so end of the radiator sheet lays flat.
3. It should look like the photo above.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 for the other piece. Now, remove the caps from your mason jars. Also remove the stick portion of the lights, and place the tops parts in the mason jars (with the solar panel facing upwards). Place the prepared radiator sheet covers around the mason jars, and you're done!
Now bring them outside to let them soak up some light, and they'll be ready to light up your patio once the sun goes down. Note: I would recommend bringing the radiator sheet pieces inside if it's supposed to rain.
The great thing about this project is that you can customize it so easily. You could make a variety of sizes using different types of mason jars. I'm planning to make a whole slew of these in different sizes to line the side of my patio.
You could also try copper or gold-tone radiator sheets if you prefer that look... or make them in all three colors and swap them out depending on your mood! The possibilities are endless. Happy crafting everyone!