Our basement family room was recently given a much needed makeover! The space was totally out of date, dark and uninviting. I started with giving the walls a fresh coat of white paint and brought in some new pieces for the room. Still, the space was asking for something a little more modern and one-of-a-kind. Since I love plants SO much and I try to have one in every room possible, I created a fun this super simple plant wall to show off my little green collection and add some serious life to the space!
- Wire Mesh Rebar
- Damp Cloth
- 1 can Spray Paint
- 1 can Spray Acrylic
- 4x Wall Anchors
- 4x Open Eye Hooks
- Plastic Containers for planters
1. Begin by first measuring the height of your wire mesh rebar. This may need to be cut according to the height of your ceiling. If so, you will need a hack saw or angle grinder to take off the proper amount. Mine happened to be the perfect height, so I left it as is.
2. Wipe your wire mesh with a clean, damp cloth to get rid of any dirt or grime. Spray paint your wire mesh with any color of your choosing. I went with this bright and vivid blue! Allow to dry completely and continue spray painting until you have full coverage. You can choose to put a top coat of clear acrylic to protect the paint.
3. Measure where you would like your wire mesh to be hung on the wall by using pencil markings to help guide where you will place your anchors. I decided to place four anchors in the wall to allow the weight to be distributed evenly, especially if you plan on hanging heavier items/plants. Before drilling a hole into your wall, be sure the bit is about the same width as your anchor. Drill a hole and then hammer your anchor carefully into the predrilled hole. Repeat as needed.
4. Simply twist your eye hooks into the anchors, then hang your wire on the hooks.
5. Now for the fun part! You get to play around with the arrangement of your pretty plants, but really, you can hang anything you desire! Use “s” hooks to hang pictures or other decor items! Then enjoy!
Basements always seem so dark and dreary, but this project really helped the space feel bright, light and airy! It’s definitely my favorite corner and I often gravitate to that side of the couch. This modern wire plant hanger would look great in any room and I’m tempted to try it elsewhere. Like the kitchen, dining room, living room, bathroom or even a bedroom above the bed! I would love to wake up under plants everyday or am I starting to sound like a crazy plant lady?