Everyone's backyard should be their own personal oasis. If that sounds like an expensive proposition, it doesn't have to be. Picking the right elements and spending wisely will provide you with a staycation placefor years to come. Here are six trends that will help you create the backyard of your dreams:
- Sustainability--including low-water gardens, drought-tolerant plants and less turfgrass. All are better for the environment and the pocketbook.
- Edibles--incorporating edibles into ornamentals not only adds interest to a garden, but will help lower grocery bills.
- Quality over Quantity--building over the top landscapes is out; quality is in.
- Water Features--the sound of running water is good for the soul, and water fountains can be an inexpensive, luxurious addition to any garden.
- Indoors Out--the popularity of outdoor living spaces that include furniture and fabrics that look as if they belong indoors isn't going anywhere.
- Solar--from LEDs to irrigation systems, solar-power is definitely here to stay.
For more great tips and images of backyard trends, follow this jump to HGTV.