Hey all you master woodworkers? No, it's not a flower stenciled on my dining table, it's a water mark left by Mr. Mod and his water bottle. (I have yet to convince him of this.) Additionally, the table has taken a moisture beating with other late night glasses being carelessly left un-coastered.
I'm a little gunshy when it comes to messing with the finish on a table. Tipnut offers some interesting ideas here with readily available household products, but before I start fiddling around, does anyone have any words of wisdom from experience with these home remedies?
- Mix 50/50 toothpaste and baking soda, rub into mark. Do not use gel toothpaste for this.
- Rub in a paste of salt and olive oil, allow to sit for up to an hour. Wipe off.
- Rub in Miracle Whip (Mayonnaise) and wipe off after an hour.
- Mix 50/50 vinegar and olive oil and rub into the watermark.
- Try straight toothpaste (non-gel). Rub into the stain then wipe off.
- Make a paste with baking soda and a few drops of water. Rub into stain then wipe off. You can also try salt instead of baking soda.
- Rub some Vaseline (or other petroleum jelly) into the watermark and leave overnight. Wipe off in the morning.