This fall, FabricDirect.com is sponsoring a series of fabric-based DIY projects on Curbly!
Eons* ago in design time, I gave this charity sale bistro chair a makeover. I painted the frame and re-upholstered the seat. I liked it for a while, and then I didn't. The colors in the fabric were those that always look dirty. In this case, a dull yellow and green. The more I looked at them, the more they reminded me of...well, phlegm.
Now, fast forward to my new love affair with gingham. I used a chunk of the blue and white check leftover from my Mondrian-ish pillow project to re-do the chair.
The chair actually has a woven cane seat, but the people that did the orignial makeover (and put on the poo-colored Naugahyde seat) screwed on some L-brackets and ruined it (sad face). To re-do it this time (and last), all I had to do was unscrew the seat from the brackets. Although I took off my last fabric (the striped phlegm-y stuff), I did leave on the Naugahyde and stapled the gingham right over it.
When doing a round seat like this, I always begin stapling at 12 o'clock, then move to 6, then to 3 and 9, pulling taught but not so much as to distort the weave of the fabric. After those "times" are stapled then I do where the hour hand would be at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30 & 10:30. Then I just fill in the rest of the clock, keeping the staples very close together. To finish, I trimmed the fabric about 1/2 inch from the staples, just to neaten things up.
No painting this time, so the makeover took only a half hour or so. Thirty minutes well spent.
Coupled with the new pillow, the chair has more impact...and comfort. Next to tackle are the mucus-y curtains. *Hork*