We find high glossed coffee tables made out of tree slices to be organic, modern and very appealing. DIY-ing a coffee table would be a hefty task. However, slicing up a tree limb,
sanding it, and sealing it was surprisingly easy and resulted in a unique set of natural tree limb coasters for morning coffee or a long tall glass of iced tea. You only need a few tools to make your own old tree limb set of coasters.
Materials and tools:
- old tree limb that's dry
- miter saw
- sandpaper or sander
- natural stain
- sealer or finish
- felt or cork for bottom (not pictured)
- glue (not pictured)
- nice ribbon to wrap up the set (not pictured)
- safety goggles (not pictured)
What you do:
1. Carefully slice up 5 or 6 pieces of a tree limb about 3/8" thick
2. Sand one side until it's nice and smooth
3. Brush on natural or light wood stain
4. Use a craft spray or polyurethane to give the coasters a sealed, waterproof finish
5. Cut out felt or cork to fit the bottom of each coaster and glue them to the bottom of each
6. Wrap up your new set of nature's coasters with a pretty ribbon and give to your dear Mom to show her you still like to make her handmade gifts for Mother's Day.
Optional: Throw in a set of coffee mugs or iced tea glasses.