Okay, so, the "we" above actually refers to the team at Popular Mechanics, but the sentiment is the same - while the DIY approach can be enriching, challenging, creative, and often save you lots of money, it doesn't mean that everything goes perfectly the first time.
HGTV asked their experts and they have spoken. These, ladies and gentlemen, are the 25 Biggest Home Renovating Mistakes renovators make. From least biggest (?) to the biggest of the big, here they are:
25. Gutting Everything
24. Buying Cheap Materials
23. Excessive Use of Duct Tape
22. Inaccurate Measurements
Trying something the first time is gonna lead to a few fluff ups. Here's a well assembled list of ten to keep in mind as you embrace a new project.
3. Not having the right tools. 4. Failing to take proper safety precautions.
5. Failing to recognize the scope of a project. 6. Not having enough help. 7. Failing to read directions...
I wanted to share a project that didn't work out as well as I hoped but that I still think has potential.
So. I saw one of these chairs in a furniture store window and instantly fell in love. In real life they are even prettier, they're translucent, so it looks like the lace is just hanging there in the air. Beautiful.
So beautiful, in fact that I was prompted to drag myself and the kid's buggy up a great big flight of stairs and into the...
Recently I caught a re-run of a special that had appeared on HGTV a while back. A panel of decorators discussed the 25 biggest decorating mistakes people make. From least offensive to most, here’s the experts’ list.
25. ‘Contour’ toilet rugs
24. Too many photos displayed
23. Ignoring your entry way/foyer
22. Exposed cables—of the media variety
21. Out of place, themed rooms (a Bali bedroom in Alaska would be a no-no)