Ask a Question How do I organize my room cheap but still retro?

How do I organize my room cheap but still retro?

Tags: organization, retro

My room is a mess and I was wondering for some ideas or some inspiration. Thanksgiving break is coming so I would be able to do it then. It is mainly clothing, I will take any ideas.

Thank you, KRartist

Hi KRartist, without knowing anything about your room or the space that you have, here are a few tips to straighten up:

• Purge what you don't wear. The easiest way to is turn all of your hangers one direction, and then as you wear your clothes switch the direction of the hanger to see which items you're not wearing. Take all items you don't wear and put them in a bag. I usually wait about 1-3 months and if I haven't thought to grab anything from that bag, I donate the clothes. You can do the same with items not hung, accessories, shoes, etc.
  • Separate your clothing by category:  work, play, dress-up, sweaters...  Hang pieces of suits and outfits separately to expand your wardrobe options. If you're super picky you can then start to organize by color. But that's not necessary. 
  • Are you using the floor space of your closet? I have plastic sliding drawers from Target that I have at the bottom of my closet to store shoes, belts, bags, socks, etc. The more stuff put away and out of sight the cleaner the space will look. 
  • You can also install hooks, or buy the command ones that just adhere to the wall to hang things on the sides and back of your closet. I have some bags I rarely use but still need hanging behind my clothes.
  • If you use a rack on your door keep the items to a minimum and only hang what you use daily. Anything else should be put away out of sight if possible.
  • If you must keep "Memory" clothing such as a prom dress, wedding dress or something you wore 15 years ago, avoid using valuable closet space for. Instead, try an under-the-bed container.  

I'm not sure what you meant by keeping your room retro, but these were just a few tips I could come up with looking through my own closet. If you're trying not to buy more contemporary closet organizers and accessories you can still rearrange what you have into a more practical organization.

If you have any more specific questions or can describe your space more let me know!

Jill

Thank you so much! I am going to try this. And lets hope this works! Thank you!

KRartist

Thank you so much! I am going to try this. And lets hope this works! Thank you!

KRartist

Hi! I understand exactly what you are going through since I live in the city and have a really hard time letting go of things -- especially clothing. I always feel like it'll come back around someday, so I want to hang on to it as long as I can. When I read your question I started typing out my advice in this comment box, but it got to be very long and I found myself wanting to add pictures. I ended up just making it into a blog post. Please have a look at my storage tips by following this link. I promise it's not useless spamming. You've inspired me to share my retro storage techniques! http://jeezejulia.wordpress.com/2010/11/22/7-storage-tips-for-small-spaces/

GOOD LUCK! Feel free to share your successes with me, I'd be interested to see what you come up with! - Julia

Ask a Question How do I organize my room cheap but still retro?