There’s nothing worse then renter-white walls. That dingy, dirty white that’s not quite cream but not quite white either. But there’s an easy way to fix it – add an accent wall and nobody will notice the rest of the walls! Here are twenty renter-friendly accent wall ideas that won’t damage your walls (or they can be easily fixed when you move). Click through to read on.
Zero Damage Accent Wall Ideas
These first few ideas will cause no damage to your apartment walls whatsoever!
1. Washi Tape Polka Dots – Let’s start with a crazy easy one… simply place strips of tape on waxed paper and then cut circles out of them! Get the tutorial here. [Photo: Fellow Fellow]
2. Decal Wall – Removable wall decals are another great way to add some personality to a wall. [Photo: Inspired By This]
3. Removable Temporary Wallpaper – This gorgeous floral wallpaper can be easily removed once you leave your rental. Buy it here. [Photo: Wallflora]
4. Vinyl “Wallpaper” – This person cut crosses out of black vinyl to create a bold geometric accent wall. Learn more here. [Photo:Cuckoo 4 Design]
5. Metallic Tape Accent Wall – There’s a great product out there called metalized polyester film tape which can be stuck to the wall in any pattern your heart desires. Check out the tutorial here. [Photo: Design Fixation]
6. Removable Wall Tiles – These fun geometric wall tiles are removable, so you can bring them with you to your next apartment. Check ’em outhere. [Photo: What Is Blik]
7. Fabric Wall Covering – Believe it or not, you can attach fabric to the wall using starch. Learn how here. [Photo: Apartment Therapy]
Re-Paintable Accent Wall Ideas
These accent walls will need to be painted over before you move out… so worth it though!
8. Textured Mural – Give sponge painting a modern edge by creating a textured ombré accent wall. See it here. [Photo: Daily Dream Decor]
9. Painted Architectural Details – This person could have painted the whole wall black, but instead chose to be a bit more creative. Check it out here. [Photo: Domino]
10. Layered Stripe Accent Wall Ideas – This eye-catching wall is made simply with paint and tape… so all you’ll have to do is paint over it once you move! Get the tutorial here. [Photo: Dream A Little Bigger]
11. Stenciled Wall – This beautiful wall looks like wallpaper, but it’s actually made with two different finishes of the same paint color (high gloss and matte). Read more here. [Photo: Kristen F. Davis Designs]
12. Confetti Wall – This bold accent wall is made by taping off confetti shaped pieces and then painting within those areas. Check out the directions here. [Photo: Rain On A Tin Roof]
13. Sharpie Wall – Yep, this fun look was done with Sharpie markers. Head on over here to read more about the process. [Photo: Vintage Revivals]
Easily Fixable Ways to Create an Accent Wall
These walls will require a bit of repair before moving out, but nothing more than patching some holes.
14. Plywood Geometric Wall – If you’re into woodworking, this could be a fun one for you. Simply pry the wood off when you move and fill the nail holes with spackle. Get the tutorial here. [Photo: Reality Daydream]
15. Ribbon Wall – This one can be done by stretching ribbon in diamond shapes and securing with thumbtacks. [Photo: BHG]
16. Herringbone Accent Wall – Again, this one takes a bit more effort… but it looks so beautiful! Check out the how-to here. [Photo: The Caldwell Project]
17. Corrugated Metal Accent Wall – This corrugated metal is normally used for roofs, but it looks great behind the sofa here. [Photo: K & Co. Antiques]
18. Grasscloth Striped Accent wall – Cover beams in grasscloth and nail them to the wall… so pretty! [Photo: Via Homedit]
19. Framed Wallpaper – Frame up large pieces of wallpaper (or fabric, wrapping paper, etc.) and hang them on the wall. [Photo: Inspired By This]
20. Faux Brick Wall – This one takes a bit more effort, but it it looks so great once it’s finished! Check out the tutorial here. [Photo: Design Asylum]