Now that we got him sworn in, I'm going to make an Obama Tuna Salad Sandwich, snuggle up in front of the telly and watch the rest of the festivites. Later on, there may be the aroma of Michelle Obama's shortbread cookies wafting through the house.
President Obama's Tuna Salad
- Grey Poupon
- Chopped Gherkins
Click here to watch the presidential chef throw this recipe together.
To make Michelle Obama's Shorbread Cookies (adapted) here's what you do:
1 cup or 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg, separated
1-1/2 tablespoons Amaretto
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 cups flour
¾ cup slivered almonds
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Beat sugar and butter until mixture is smooth.
3. Slowly add egg yolk, Amaretto, salt, orange and lemon rind, mixing well.
4. Slowly mix in flour until mixture is well blended.
5. Pat the mixture into an even layer in an ungreased 10 by 15 inch jelly roll pan.
6. Whisk the egg white until foaming and brush on top of dough. Sprinkle with almonds.
7. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes until lightly browned.
Cool slightly and cut into two inch squares while still warm.
Yield: 40 squares