A few days ago a storm blew through and left behind a plethora of fallen branches and twigs. As I set about to tidy up the yard the other day, I noticed some particularly fine specimens, and since I hate to see good twigs go to waste, I decided to make something out of them: A witch’s broom.
I started with a straight-ish 5' long branch, roughly the circumference of a broom handle. Now, you might think a broom-head made of straw would be the way to go, but I’ve noticed that straw brooms handle a little sluggishly. (Think lumbering SUV.) Instead, I opted to make my broom-head out of smaller twigs as they provide for more responsive handling. (Think Japanese import with a tight suspension.)
I trimmed the twigs to about 16", grouped them in bunches of 3 and then wired them together.
Next, I reinforced the bundles with some hot glue.
Then I grouped the smaller bundles around my ‘broom handle’ and wrapped them tightly with twine. I knotted the twine and shot some hot glue down the top for additional support.
Okay, so I might not be playing Quidditch anytime soon with my new broom, but it should get me to my next coven meeting and back, no problem.