Snuffling down between starchy crisp, lavender smelly bed sheets is my own personal version of nirvana. Lavender oil is a multi tasking wonder, want to relax into a restful sleep while treating your skin complaints and repelling moths and ticks? Lavender is your guy.
I found this recipe for a linen spray while frantically searching for something to make my kid feel better, (he has a cold, not Bubonic Plague, as I first suspected) lavender is also pretty good for stuffy noses.
To make Lavender Linen Water for spraying on sheets or other linens before/during/after ironing,
- Half a teaspoon (50 drops) of lavender essential oil
- 3-5 drops peppermint spearmint or rosemary essential oil (optional)
- 1 oz vodka
- 1 and a half cups of distilled water (from the drug store)
Sterilize a glass container (a big pasta sauce jar would work well) by pouring some boiling water into it and leaving it for a few minutes then:
- Mix the essential oils and booze together in the jar, shaking them like it ain't no thing
- Add the water and shake some more.
When you're ready to use it you can either decant it into a plastic spray bottle or (more satisfyingly) flick it onto your linens with your fingers. The mixture will cloud over time and eventually separate, hence the slightly smaller batch size.