Have you turned your bedroom into a haven but are still suffering from sleepless nights? It might be time to take the fight to the next level. Lifehackery has assembled 12 tips to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. They include:
1. Don’t exercise for at least 3 hours before bedtime.
2. Turn off the TV and computer 30 to 60 minutes before sleepy-time.
3. Considering eating something with tryptophan in it, like a turkey sandwich, but....
4. Don’t eat at least 4 hours before you hit the hay.
5. Do what your mom says and go to bed and get up every day at the same time.
6. Condition yourself to respond to a physical stimulus, like rubbing the top of your foot with the bottom of the other until you fall asleep. (I do this one all the time!)
7. Don’t read or work in bed.
8. Tell yourself a bedtime story–but only in your head if you’re not sleeping alone.
9. Set the stage for sleep.
10. Try self-hypnosis or progressive relaxation CDs/MP3s
11. Don’t smoke before bed; better yet, don’t smoke at all.
12. Turn down the thermostat, as your body slows down and gets sluggish at cooler temps.
To read the un-abbreviated version of the 12 tips, go to Lifehackery.