"Wine is one of the oldest alcoholic beverages on the planet. Its history spans thousands of years and while heavy drinking of any alcoholic beverage rather brings lots of health-related troubles instead of benefits, current research suggests that a glass of red wine each day may be providing you with more than just a little relaxation. "
- Reduced risk of death from nearly all causes: European researchers suggest that moderate daily intake of red wine (22-32 g of alcohol) has a protective effect on all-cause mortality.
- Decreases the harmful effects of smoking
- Helps to prevent coronary heart disease
- Promotes blood clot formation
- Helps prevent the initiation and progression of atherosclerosis (hardening or "furring" of the arteries
- Lowers post-meal blood pressure in hypertensive persons
- Reduces the risk of kidney stone formation.
- Moderate wine drinking correlates with a lower risk for Alzheimer's disease.