1. Put on the pants, measure and make a mark about 2 inches below the bottom of your knee.
2. Lay the pants flat and draw a straight line using tailor's chalk and a straight edge.
3. Cut the pant legs off at the line and turn them inside out. Now, fold up the shorts bottoms about an inch up and pin. Do this for both sides. Be sure you compare it to the first leg so you make them the same length.
4. Once the bottoms are completely pinned, sew a seam around both short legs.
5. Now get out a piece of paper and cut out an image. This will be the design on your shorts.
6. Fold your shorts in half so that one of the side seams is facing up. Then place your pattern over it. Once you have it in the right position, pin the pattern down and trace it.
7. Cut the inside part of the shape out, flip the shorts over and repeat on the other side.
8. Now take your Hawaiian shirt and cute out 2 pieces of fabric that are big enough to cover your pattern generously.
9. Take one of your squares and pin it inside one of your cut-outs. Then sew a seam around your cut-out. Once you're finished, repeat on the other side.
10. After you're done, take the tie and strategically pin it around the top of your pants.
11. Cut a hole in the tie where the first button is, cut a hole and pull the button through the tie.
12. Fold the tie over the button, cut another hole and pull the button through that one too.
13. Lastly, sew the tie to the pants and you've got yourself some new boardshorts!
14. And if you're daring enough, you can deconstruct the suit top to match!