A brown paper lunch bag
1/4 cup popcorn
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Pour a 1/4 cup of quality, whole popcorn into a brown paper lunch bag
2. Fold the top over twice, and crease tightly.
3. Place the bag in the microwave, and microwave on high for 75-120 seconds. (90 seconds is perfect for my microwave). The first time you give it a try, watch and listen carefully, and stop the cooking once the pops become longer than two seconds apart.
4. Meanwhile, in a serving bowl, mix the oil and salt.
5. Once the popcorn is popped, transfer to the bowl and mix with the seasoning. You could do this directly in the bag, but the oil will turn the paper bag greasy.
6. Rush back to your seat, and devour.
Other flavor options:
Instead of olive oil, mix two tablespoons of melted butter and a tablespoon each of chopped fresh rosemary and thyme with the salt. Add fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Use a vegetable or corn oil in place of the olive oil, and add 2 teaspoons of dried, crushed ancho chiles (or ancho chile powder), an 1/8 teaspoon of ground cumin, the zest of 1/2 a lime, and 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro/coriander.
Use extra-virgin olive oil, then add 1/4 cup of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt. Add dried or fresh herbs as desired.