Designer Nancy Taylor's 18th Century farmhouse kitchen is her "dream kitchen." In Curbly style, Country Living breaks down the high-end makeover for a more budget-friendly route. $$$$ versus $$, here it is:
- Sink: $600 white fireclay sink vs. $186 Ikea option.
- Cabinets: custom $200 to $275 vs. stock $127 per linear foot.
- Knobs: crystal for $16 per vs. glass for $8 per.
- Dinnerware: $48 per 5-piece place setting vs. $30 for 4-piece setting.
- Stemware: $58 for 4 vs. $40 for 6.
- Compost pail: $50 vs. $30.
- Rug $20 per sf. vs. $18 for an entire Ikea option.
The cost savings based on an average kitchen that has 30 linear feet of cabinets, 30 knobs, and place settings/stemware for 8 is $7,830 vs. $4,604 (not including cabinet installation, of course). That's a $3,200 savings for budget replacements that are dead ringers for their more expensive counterparts. For more information about the original picks and their substitutes, click here.
A Dream Kitchen on a Real-Life Budget [Country Living]