1. Add floor/door mats to your entry way. Chances are it's going to rain (and maybe even snow) much more in the near future and there's no reason to track that extra moisture inside.
2. Additionally, add rugs to spaces like the kitchen or hallway (if you don't have carpet) to avoid having to walk on chilly floors.
4. Switch your ceiling fan rotation. Blades should turn 'forward' in a clockwise motion, so that the warm air trapped on the ceiling gets pushed down into the room.
5. Replace burned out lightbulbs, especially those outside and in hard to reach places, to make sure you have a well lit pathway to your front door.
7. Check heating system to make sure your furnace is working properly. Don't wait until it's cold to find out that you need maintenance!
8. Test and replace the batteries in your smoke detectors. It's best to do this on daylight savings in the spring and fall.