These cuban style black bean fritters put a vegetarian spin on traditional crab cakes, served here with a delicious zesty pineapple and cilantro rice.
- 3 1/2 oz bag of long grain rice
- 2 tsp of butter
- 1 cup of fresh pineapple (diced)
- 2 tbsp of fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 15oz tin of black beans (drained)
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp of cumin (ground)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup of cheddar (grated)
- 2 jalapenos (deseeded & diced)
- 1/2 cup of red onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup of finely crushed tortilla chips
- Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
Step 1: Place a large saucepan over a medium heat, add two cups of water, add the rice and cook per packet instructions. Meanwhile place another saucepan on a medium-high heat, add the butter and fry the pineapple till it starts to brown, 4-5 minutes. Drain the rice, add the pineapple and cilantro and 1/4tsp of salt, mix well.
Step 2: Add half the beans to a mixing bowl with the garlic, cumin, 1/2tsp salt and mash with a fork. Add the remaining beans to a food processor with the egg, blend well, add it to the bean mix along with the cheddar, jalapenos and red onion. Divide into 4, combine into fritters, then dust each side with the tortilla chips.
Step 3: Place a saucepan on a high heat, add the vegetable oil, then fry each of the fritters, 3-4 minutes a side, until golden, remove from the heat.
Step 4: Plate up the rice, serve with a fritter and garnish with sour cream.