Looking for an easy project to carry you through to the weekend? I think I might just have one for you. Make your own clay pots and containers to hold small plants or jewelry with this simple technique and tutorial.
- Air Dry Clay
- Paint Brush
- Matte Medium
1. Start with a palm sized piece of clay and roll t into a ball with your hands.
2. Then, starting from the center, begin pinching the ball with your thumbs, creating a bowl shape.
3. Continue this process until the desired shape is reached. Then, attempt to smooth any large cracks or blemishes with a tiny bit of water, rubbing your fingers over blemishes to smooth them out. It doesn't have to be perfect.
4. Let dry according to the packaging, usually about 24 hours. Then, use a fine grit sandpaper to smooth any blemishes or cracks that may still be visible. Wipe away in debris with a rag or paper towel.
5. Next, coat the entire surface with a clear matte medium to seal it. Allow the medium to dry and apply a second coat.
6. Once dry, add a coat of paint in your desired color, or leave the surface natural and begin using.
A $9 bag of air dry clay will make at least four bowls, roughly the same size as the one pictured, making these DIY bowls a super affordable weekend project or gift idea.