Maria Zoitas, catering director at Westside Market NYC and creator of Maria's Homemade, shares her recipes for using all those pumpkin seeds we'll have on hand after the carving is done. Together, they form the basis for the perfect menu for a Halloween party!
Oven Roasted Butternut Squash With Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
· 1 medium size butternut squash – about 2 lbs peeled, seeded and cut into inch cubes
· 1 medium size white onion peeled and ¼ inch diced
· ½ cup dried cranberries
· 1 bunch of kale, remove stems and slice into one inch wide pieces
· ½ cup shelled toasted pumpkin seeds
· ½ tbsp. clove powder
· ½ tbsp. nutmeg
· 1 tbsp. salt (kosher)
· ½ cup olive oil
· ½ gallon water
1. In a medium bowl, toss the butternut squash with salt, clove, nutmeg and ¼ cup olive oil.
2. Place the butternut squash in a 9x8 sheet pan and bake for 20-25 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 400?, then remove and leave at room temperature.
- In the meantime, pouch the kale for 3-4 minutes in ½ gallon of broiled water. Remove the kale and place in cold water, drain and set aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat the 1.4 cup of oil left, sauté the onion for about 5 minutes and add cranberries. Sauté for 2 minutes and add the pumpkin seeds, cooking for one.
5. Add and mix all ingredients together in a bowl and serve.
Crusted Pumpkin Seeds Chicken
· 2 chicken breasts
· 2 cups of panko
· 2 cups of pumpkin seeds
· 4 whole eggs beaten
· 1 cup all purpose flour
· 1 tbsp. salt (kosher)
· 1 tbsp. fine chopped oregano leaves
· 1 tbsp. orange zest
· 1 cup sunflower oil
· 1 tbsp. black pepper
1. You need 2 chicken breasts, sliced in half. Pound them down lightly until they are ¼ inch thick.
2. In 3 separate bowls, put flour in one, eggs in another and the panko, pumpkin seeds, salt, black pepper, chopped oregano and orange zest in the third bowl
3. Coast the chicken breast with flour, then dip into beaten eggs, followed by into the panko bowl.
4. In a sauté pan, heat up the oil at medium heat. Lightly sauté the coated chicken breast until it reaches a golden color – about 1 minute on each side.
5. In the meantime, pre-heat oven at 350? for 10 minutes. Place the chicken breast onto a sheet pan and cook it for an additional 10-15 minutes.
** Note: You can also use your favorite fish fillet instead of chicken. You may put it in the oven for less time or you may finish in a pan.
Baked Apples with Pumpkin Seeds
· Roma apples
· 1 cup red wine (dry)
· 3 cups sangria wine
· 1 ½ cups dried cranberries
· ¼ cup currents
· 1 cup sugar
· 1 tbsp. cinnamon
· 1 cup honey
· 2 tbsp. orange zest
· 1 cup pumpkin seeds
1. Core the apple to remove the seeds. Score with the tip of a small knife in the middle of the apple and around it – this will help bake the apple evenly.
2. Pell the skin an inch around the top of the apply.
3. Meanwhile, in a sauté pan put the red wine and sangria wine. When half is consumer, remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a roasting pan, place the peeled apples (inside side up). In the center of each apple, add sugar. Then pour cinnamon powder around each apple.
5. In a 300? pre-heated oven bake the apples for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in a medium size bowl, toss together the cranberries, currents, honey, pumpkin seeds and orange zest. (This will act as a topping for the apples)
7. Remove apples from the oven and top each with ¼ cup of the honey mixture.
8. Put baking pan with apples back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve either hot or cold.
However, if you'd rather stick with the tried-and-true roasting route, click here.