I love Indian food: the colors, texture and fragrant aromas. While this dish is a little work, it's well worth the effort. To bulk it out further serve it with a side of basmati rice and enjoy a taste of India.
- 2 cups of natural yogurt
- 3 cloves of garlic (peeled and grated)
- 1 inch of ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 1/2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp of ground turmeric
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 4 x 6 oz skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
- 1 1/2 lb potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1/2 cucumber (coarsely grated, excess liquid drained)
- 4 springs of fresh mint (chopped)
- 1 tsp of black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp of chili power
- olive oil
- 8 oz paneer cheese (broken into chunks)
- 4 tomatoes (deseeded and quartered)
- 1 lemon
- handful of fresh cilantro
- mango chutney
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 400F. Place 5 tablespoons of the yogurt into a mixing bowl, add half the ginger and all of the garlic, add 1tbsp of garam masala, 1 tsp of turmeric and a good pinch of salt and pepper, mixing it all together. Add the chicken cubes, mix well to coat, cover and set aside.
Step 2: Place a medium saucepan filled with water on a medium-high heat, bring to the boil, then add the potatoes, reduce to a medium heat and cook parboil for 8 minutes.
Step 3: Meanwhile to make your raita add the cucumber to the remaining yogurt with the mint leaves and a pinch of salt, cover and put to one side.
Step 4: Drain the potatoes, put them to one side. Place a medium sized frying pan on a medium heat, add the mustard seeds, cumin, coriander, chili powder and remaining garam masala and ginger.
Step 5: Stir the spices until smelling fragrant, about a minute, then carefully add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and add the drained potatoes. Toss to coat, then add them to roasting tray with the marinated chicken, paneer, tomatoes and season with salt & pepper.
Step 6: Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, till the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes golden, remove and squeeze over the juice of half a lemon, plate up, garnish with the cilantro and serve with the raita and mango chutney.