This soup is a great "one pot wonder", easy to make and loved by meat eaters and vegetarians alike. It's packed with flavor and texture, a rich mix of fresh and aromatic herbs.
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 stick of celery (chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (chopped)
- 1 large potato (chopped)
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- 3 sprigs of rosemary (stalks removed)
- 4 sprigs of thyme (stalks removed)
- Handful of parsley (finely chopped)
- 4 pints of vegetable stock
- 1 tin of bortlotti beans (drained)
- 1 cup of pearl barley (rinsed)
- Parmesan (grated)
Step 1: Place a large pot over a medium heat, add a splash of olive oil, then add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, potato and all the herbs, cook until softened, roughly 8-10 minutes.
Step 2: Add the vegetable stock, beans and pearl barley, bring the boil and reduce to a simmer for an hour.
Step 3: Season to taste with salt, served in bowls, garnish with Parmesan and a crack of black pepper.