Bookshelves aren't just for books anymore. Through the years, they've become an integral part of decorating for the home. If you are just getting started, or feel that yours needs a makeover, here are five tips to help steer you in the right direction!
1. Layer from front to back - Place larger items in the backs of the shelves and bring smaller items to the front.
2. Change the background - If you don't want to use the boring wood that your shelf came with, consider covering it with some wallpaper, scrapbook paper, or fabric. You have an endless amount of pattern options to choose from and it adds a little dimension!
3. Choose a color scheme - If you have a hard time placing random objects together to get an aesthetically pleasing look, choose a color scheme to keep things simple and coherent. It will be easier to know what to place on the shelf and what to shop for in the future.
4. Add varying heights - Just because it's a bookshelf doesn't mean you have to stick to books alone! Add vases, trays, frames, and other objects at different heights to keep things interesting.
5. Simple or cluttered, own it - Not everyone has the same taste. Simply styled shelves are beautiful to look at, but I'm also drawn to the ones that are packed with books and other unique objects. It's your shelf and it's in your home. When deciding how to decorate, go with your gut!