More and more we find ourselves cutting meat out of our daily diet, replacing it with the likes of mushrooms, eggplants and chickpeas, all great, 'hearty' substitutes. If you're looking for a 'meaty' dish that even your omnivorous friends will enjoy, try this easy to make casserole.
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large red bell pepper (halved, deseed)
• 1 large eggplant (thickly sliced)
• 2 large onions (chopped)
• 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
• 1 tsp cumin seeds (toasted and ground)
• 2 tsp coriander seeds (toasted and ground)
• 1 tsp oregano (dried)
• 14 oz tin of canned tomatoes (chopped)
• 14 oz tin of chickpeas
• 3 cups of vegetable stock
• 2 oz chevin (goats milk cheese)
• 1 bunch of parsley (stalks removed, then chopped)
Step 1: Preheat your oven to grill, place the bell peppers cut side down on a roasting tray. Brush each of the eggplant slices with olive oil before adding them to the tray, then grill for 8-10 minutes, turning the eggplant slices half way through until golden on each side and the peppers slightly blackened.
Step 2: Remove the peppers and cool before removing the outer skin, then slice them into bite sized chunks with the eggplant.
Step 3: Place a pot on a medium high heat, add the remaining olive oil, onions and garlic, fry for 5 minutes, then add the mixed seeds and herbs for a further 2-3 minutes, till smelling fragrant.
Step 4: Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, bell pepper, eggplant and stock to the vegetables, season with salt and pepper, bring to the boil, then simmer for 40 - 50 minutes.
Step 5: Plate up into bowls and top with parsley and crumbed chevin.