As the holidays quickly approach, people everywhere scramble to get their homes ready to entertain friends and host out-of-town guests. It is important to have the high traffic areas such as the living room, kitchen and bathroom clean and tidy, but make sure not to overlook two easily forgotten areas: the kitchen pantry and guest closet.
Make your visitors feel right at home with these tips for creating clean and organized spaces.
When everything is in its place in your kitchen pantry, you can see what you have so it's easier to plan meals. In addition, less food goes to waste, meaning fewer trips to the supermarket.
- Make snacks easily accessible. Both children and guests may want them throughout their stay. For a healthier option, consider munchies such as fruits and whole grain goodies.
- Organize items by sorting by food type. Make sure to turn food labels outward and group items that are often used together. Having your inventory organized makes creating a shopping list easier before heading to the store.
- Prepare your prep area. Need to whip up something fast? With all of the holiday events taking place this year, make sure your preparation area is clean and ready to go when you are.
- Utilize corner shelves. Store cookbooks and organize boxed and bottled goods with convenient corner shelves.
- Make serving platters and utensils easily assessable. These items that are barely touched throughout the year will be making many appearances at holiday gatherings. Prepare to pull them out often by placing them in an area that is easy to access.
- Donate extras. If you find yourself with an excessive amount of multiples, raid your pantry and donate the surplus ingredients to a local food pantry.
The guest room closet should be in tip-top shape, providing a convenient place for guests to house their essentials.
- Free up floor space. Keep things off the floor by using baskets and drawers to store frequently used items.
- Never underestimate the power of shelf storage. Use shelves to store extra blankets, clothing and other items that guests may need.
- Hang hooks. Hooks keep items off the floor and easily accessible. They also can add some flair to a room, so get creative!
- Provide additional items. Whether it is blankets or towels, guests seem to go through them very quickly. Be prepared for the rush by having the closet stocked with extras.
Want to win an Easy Track System for your own closet? Sure thing - just head over to our giveaway and tell us why you'd love to win.
Photos feature The Stow Company’s Easy Track brand (designed and manufactured in Holland, Michigan). Other Stow brands include ORG, EasyClosets.com and ProClosets.com
Enjoy our tips? Subscribe to The Stow Company’s blog! Be the first to know organizing tips, important news and future promotions