It's amazing the things you can find in the dumpster. We found some expired coffee grounds that were thrown out and decided to use them to making an old pair of worn out jeans look vintage and hip. Below, we'll show you how - including a video of the whole process at the bottom!
1. First off, to make the dye, you will need 2 bags of coffee grounds (About 10 oz each), preferable Espresso.Â
2. Then, get a 3-5 gallon bucket. We got ours for free at a local ice cream shop, but any kind of bucket should work.
3. Next, you will have to make a filter. We used some old stockings that we cut the tops off and filled with the coffee grounds. Then make sure you tie the tops tightly.
4. Put the coffee - grounds filled stockings into the bucket and fill it about 3/4 to the top with hot water. Make sure there's enough room for the jeans without the water spilling over.
5. Let the coffee brew for about 15 to 20 min. Note: The darker the brew, the darker the stain.
6. Then drop in your jeans and let them sit overnight.
7. The next morning, take out your jeans and throw them in the washer and dryer.
8. Congratulations! You're all done!! Now you've got a nice, light brown tint to your jeans.
Want an even more 'vintage look' in your jeans? Here is how to make them distressed.
1. Grab some sandpaper and a couple random objects with a hard surface such as coins, cell phones, mint tins... etc. Put these in the pockets and sand around the edges!
2. A cheese grater makes a great addition to the smaller abraisions and gives it lots of texture.
3. Or, you could even run them over with your car!
4. Now you've got yourself a one of a kind rad pair of jeans for little or no cost!
If you still can't get enough, watch the video!