Dressing up our Christmas Tree is one of my favorite times of year. Everyone gets involved, and after hours of stringing lights just perfectly, sentimental ornaments are pulled carefully from their packaging and placed with precision on the tree (or, as much precision as a 3- and 5-year-old can muster). The last step for our family is tucking the tree skirt under the tree- and this year we needed something new, like a no-sew Snowflake tree skirt! Read on to see how I easily made this in one nap time.
To make your tree skirt, you need:
- 1 1/4 yard red felt
- 1 1/4 yard white felt
- Tape measure
- optional: fabric marker, Kraft paper for template
1. Fold felt pieces in half, and then in half again the other direction. One of your corners will have only folded edges, like so:
2. Next, pull out your tape measure and mark 3" from the corner of the red felt, keeping the end of the tape measure on the corner as you mark the radius.
3. Your next mark will depend on the bottom width of your tree; for my 48" wide tree, I wanted the skirt to extend to the edge of the branches, or 24" from the center (your outer radius). From the same corner you measured from earlier, mark the outer radius the same way you marked the center opening.
4. Cut along your markings. Repeat with the white felt, except subtract an inch or two from your outer radius measurement. Cut along these markings.
5. Open up your white piece and re-fold it in half, and then into thirds. Next, either free-hand a snow flake design on your felt or first draw it on Kraft paper, cut it out, and use it as a template to draw on your white felt.
6. Carefully cut along the lines, cutting through one or two layers at a time. When you have gone through all the layers, open it up a little at a time, refining your cuts as you go.
7. Cut from the outer edge to the center opening in order to easily get it around the tree, and arrange the skirt. Felt naturally wants to stick to itself, but will move around when you maneuver it.
Depending on the intricacy of your snowflake design, this can be a quick project, and an inexpensive one as well. And no sewing machine required!
Material : fabric
Design Style : colorful