Oh, hey! Remember this? Before it can turn into a sparkly, made-over wonder, we need to have a game plan, y'all! A game plan and some IDEAS... inspiration, if you will. And if there's anything I'm good at, it's planning things (it's a compulsion, really). So! Let's see where this kitchen is headed, shall we?
I've been making mental notes of elements I'd like in my "dream" kitchen since the first day I stepped foot in it nearly 5 years ago. Obviously, those sage green walls and poo-colored countertops were at the top of my "things that must die a terrible death" list. The cabinets weren't doing this dark space any favors, either. So what's the game plan? Bring in as much light and shiny things as possible!
[These photos are all part of my Kitchen Inspiration board on Pinterest -- check it out for more!]
1. BLINGIN'! I love everything about this kitchen. It's a bit wild, but totally up my alley. See more here.
2. White, wood, and sea foam? This kitchen screams "fresh and clean"! See more here.
3. Maaaaaybe my favorite backsplash of all time. Go big or go home, right?? See more here.
4. This kitchen does a great job of blending traditional and modern elements -- something I'm making a note of, for sure! See more here.
5. I love the airy feel of this space and the mix of materials. Dreamy! See more here.
Are you noticing a trend yet?? White cabinets, glass tile (in aqua, please!), and light-colored countertops are my top design elements. Mix in some modern flourishes, a dash of classic style, and a good pop of color and we've got ourselves a game plan! Here's what I'm thinking:
The Big Picture:
1. Countertops: Caesarstone quartz is the cream of the crop, people. CREAM. I've chosen Misty Carrera, a soft tonal grey that will lighten up the space without completely blending in with the white cabinets. WIN!
2. Cabinets: Ripping out our current cabinets would be a major undertaking and investment. Instead, we're keeping what we have and painting them white. Benjamin Moore's Decorators White to be exact!
3. Faucet: Remember that broken faucet I was talking about? Yeah, that sucker is being kicked to the curb. We're replacing it with this modern and sturdy deck-mount faucet from Kohler. Look at those sexy lines!
4. Sink: Our old sink was crap. Plain and simple. Have more than two plates to wash? Tough luck; there's no room. I'm remedying that with this classic farmhouse-style sink!
6. Hardware: Our old cabinets were hardware-free and naked. These modern bar pulls should add a nice sleek look and greater functionality, always good things in my book.
7. Wall Paint: OMG, I can't wait to get rid of that sage green! Painting the walls in "Gray Owl" from Benjamin Moore is my ticket to sanity.
8. Window Treatments: Goodbye cheap plastic blinds! I'm replacing you with a roman shade from The Shade Store -- this graphic pattern by Alexander Girard is timeless and mod all at once.
Accessories (my fave):
9. Wall Clock: My atomic orange clock is awesome, but no longer works in this space. I've had a crush on this clock from Areaware for a while now!
10. Soap Control: A trio of glass soap dispensers from IKEA should do the job just fine (and double as vases in a pinch)!
11. Stools: I'd love to replace our squeaky black bar stools with something stationary -- maybe these steel and wood stools from Magis will do the trick.
12. Robots: You didn't think I'd forget about my robots, right? I'll be moving this porcelain bot from my guest room to the kitchen. (In case you were wondering, I've named him "Genghis".)
13. Artwork: I LOVE ART! I'll be putting some of my favorite prints and drawings in our sparkly white kitchen to add a pop of color and intrigue. (This is a block print by Nick Wroblewski entitled "Caretaker of the Desert".)
14. Kitchen Textiles: I'm a notorious tea towel hoarder, so I can't help but love these bold towels from Tikoli.
15. Kitchen Rug: Goodbye dirty, six-year-old orange shag rug! You've served me well, but I'm ratcheting up the style factor with a hand-woven wool rug from Angela Adams. This one here is called "Ruthie".
BAM! How's that for a game plan, guys?? Do you think I can pull this quirky blend of styles off? Check back on Monday for the big reveal (lots of pretty photos, promise) and we'll see how all these elements come together!